December 12, 2015 ~ Antarctica Day 1
Cuverville Island was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition (1897–1899) under Adrien de Gerlache, who named it for J.M.A. Cavelier de Cuverville (1834–1912), a vice admiral of the French Navy.
Our Expedition leader, Raphaël Sané describes Cuverville Island in his book Antarctica: Journey to the Peninsula.
There is a magnificent panoramic view from the summit of Cuverville (200m/600ft), accessible after a long walk up a very deep slope. The islands shoreline is by high cliffs except on its northwestern edge, where the beach covered in red pebbles is a home to a colony of Gentoo penguins.